Tuesday, September 30, 2014

30 Days Hath September.....

April, June and November...

Hey y'all!

The last day of September I always tend to repeat that poem I learned in school. :) I thought I'd do a little DIY today, and since I was feeling nostalgic about my time in school, I thought I'd show a classroom!

My best friend is a kindergarten teacher.  She wanted to do a Dr. Seuss theme for her classroom, so I immediately started looking around for ideas to help her with the room.  Target served as a big help for the project, the $1 section had SO many Dr. Seuss items and she bought one of everything they had! Ha!  I think the finished product was fantastic, and it's a room that she can easily keep adding to!

 


I purchased a blank canvas and it had been sitting in my "craft box" for about a year.  I found a picture of a painted (or printed, who knows) canvas on Pinterest and thought I would never be able to make it look great, but I wanted to try!  So I got it out and freehanded the hat and the blue area.  I am really proud of the way it turned out! And it looked great hanging up outside of her classroom!



She wanted to have a big Thing 1 and Thing 2 to hang up and put her face on, along with her assistant's.  I wasn't sure how to even start this, so she got me some red butcher paper and I looked at a photo of them and drew it as big as I could.  I cut it out but didn't have a face, hair, or belly.  So for the hair, I used big sheets of blue construction paper, and for the white I used white construction paper.  It was long and tedious but I LOVE these two!  She laminated them to keep them safe! She ended up hanging it up just like this, along with the a place to hang up the artwork of the students.


Her classroom looks incredible!  I love Dr. Seuss, so this was such a treat to help her with!


            
I apologize for the Jack Daniels bottle in the background, I was using it for another craft project (See my Weekend Catch-Up post).
She inherited a classroom from a teacher who retired, so there was quite a bit of stuff for her to go through and decide to throw/give away or keep.  I didn't take a before picture of this thing, but basically it's a storage container that had clear plastic covers over the little storage bins.  She wanted to keep this because it was useful, but we had to do something to spice it up, it was dull and the clear covers were yellowed from age.  We went to Hobby Lobby and got a couple pieces of scrapbook paper and used some Mod Podge to "glue" it on.  She also put some polka dot ribbon on it, to contrast the polka dots I had planned to add on the sides.  I really wanted to add something to the sides so they weren't so plain, and figured if I found some Dr. Seuss font, I could paint them onto it.  After a few coats, I covered the letters in Mod Podge to help keep the paint from coming off.


The truffula trees turned out SO great! My husband begrudgingly helped out with this activity.  He used electrical tape for the stripes on the trees, stuck the tops to them, and attached them to the wall.  The "trees" are just pool noodles, the tops are tissue paper pom-poms, and we hung them up with fishing line and used a couple Command hooks.


I made this for kindergarten registration/the first day of school.  She wanted them to take a picture holding a 'K', so I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a K and some Dr. Seuss fabric! I just used a hot glue gun to attach the fabric to the wood.  It isn't my best work, but I loved that fabric!

That's all the homemade items we made, but here is the bulletin board we made for the board right outside her classroom.  I wish I had gotten more photos of her classroom, but I did not, hopefully next year I will do better! :)

 

One last thing, I did not make this this year, I actually made it a couple years ago for Christmas, but she still uses it so it feels relevant! :)

I took an old picture frame that I had and took out the glass.  The background is just a piece of scrapbook paper I bought at Hobby Lobby and hot glued to the backing.  Then I laid out the K and cut the crayons that needed cutting and started gluing them to the paper.  I finished it off with a polka dot bow on top!  It was so simple to make and looks so cute in the classroom! 

I hope you guys enjoyed!  Let me know if you like seeing DIY's, if so I can try to do more!

See you soon!

XOXO.

No comments:

Post a Comment