Friday, November 21, 2014

November Birchbox!

It's my third month receiving Birchbox, and I haven't been disappointed yet! I feel like month after month, I see people complain about their boxes and the build up always concerns me but I haven't been let down yet....let's keep that going Birchbox! :)




This month was about giving back, Birchbox teamed with Red, to raise money and awareness for AIDS.  It's a great cause, I loved seeing Birchbox working with such a great organization!  One of my favorites things about Birchbox is that it's so interactive. Last month, we were able to fill in our favorite tv show, song, etc, take a picture, add it to any social media outlet and become eligible for a prize.  This month, they donated $1 every time a photo was shared of the box itself with facts about AIDs, HIV, and an AIDS-Free Generation with the hashtag #shaRED.  I'm such a fan of the interaction they allow between the company itself and their consumers.

Onto the samples!



1. Chuao Chocolatier ChocoPod: Firecracker, Full size Assorted box, $9.95

I actually got on the Birchbox site the morning before my box arrived, and saw what I was getting (I know, I was so upset with myself!).  I was pretty upset that there was chocolate in there, I'm not one to try new foods, I'm picky enough as it is.  I opened my box and didn't want to try the chocolate.  I figured I'd let Chris have it when he got home from work because he's not nearly as picky as me.  BUT I couldn't wait....I needed to know right away how it tasted.  So, I tried it. And it was definitely interesting!  The "Firecracker" had popping candies in it, and it was a pleasant surprise!  I'm not a huge chocolate eater, but the sample was nice, and while I wouldn't purchase a full size box, I know a lot of people that would've really enjoyed trying all the different kinds of chocolate in the box.  However, there are some other flavors in the box that I would like to try....so maybe I would purchase the box....oh, who knows! But the moral of this hot mess of a review is that the chocolate I had was very good! 

2. COOLA, Tinted Matte SPF 30 for Face - Full size item, $36

I am not a huge fan of tinted moisturizers with sunscreens.  I really don't love the smell that comes along with it, but this particular product didn't have a terrible smell.  And based on the previous BB cream that I received last month, I was a little concerned about this product.  However, I must say that this product was so much better!  It went on smooth, blended well, and didn't feel heavy on my face. In the cooler months, my face becomes dry, so I needed a moisturizer to even out my skin before I apply all my makeup. I initially thought this would be my least favorite item from my box, but it wasn't.  I ended up really enjoying it! I did read that some people had an issue with breaking out, so I'd read the ingredients before buying the product!

3. Gilchrist & Soames, Spa Therapy Body Lotion - Full size item, $15

My absolute favorite product from my box!  My legs are incredibly dry right now. Not only do my legs dry out in the winter, but I've been taking some medicine that has a side effect of dry skin....so they are EXTRA dry.  Which is making for some miserable days.  But this body lotion has been amazing on my dry legs.  I must say, I'm not a huge fan of the scent, but I did love the lotion.  The lotion is pretty thin, and I read a few reviews and people didn't enjoy the product, so it seems like to each their own.  Some people complained that it wasn't moisturizing enough for their dry skin.  I felt like it was plenty moisturizing, my only complaints being the smell and that because it is thin I felt like I needed to add more than usual, making it harder to keep my small sample to use many times.

4. Juice Beauty, Green Apple Peel Sensitive - Full size item, $39

I was very excited to try this item.  Seeing the "green apple" made me a little worried about the smell, sometimes the green apple smell can be a little overwhelming, but the smell was light and I really enjoyed it! When I went to put it on my face, I almost spilled it all over the counter.  I didn't realize just how runny it was going to be!  I don't do well with peels, they are usually too much on my skin, but this was great for my skin!  It felt so clean and so smooth! My face did get a little red while the peel was on, but it wasn't something that stuck!  What I think I loved the most about this product was that, while it was removing all the crappy stuff from my skin, it didn't dry it out.  Honestly, that's one of my big worries with using peels, masks, and such is that my already dry face will dry out even more.  But this worked great! 

5. Klorane, Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk in Natural Tint - Full size item, $19.50

This was my least favorite item in my box.  Not because of the quality of the product, from everything I can tell, it works great.  I am just learning that I'm not a huge fan of dry shampoo.  I will say, this looked better than the previous dry shampoos I've used before.  The previous ones I've had left a white residue, and this worked the best with my brunette hair!  From what I can tell, it did absorb the oils in my hair, I just feel like I don't use dry shampoo properly. I will say that I did use it one day before I went out and my hair did not look bad!  I think what I'd use it for the most, as I used my previous dry shampoos, is to add body, and to help when I'm trying to fix my hair. The smell was also great! Honestly, my real complaint with this item had nothing to do with the product and using it, but that the nozzle had come off the bottle in the processing of being shipped and moved around.  No fault to Birchbox or anything, and it was easily fixed, but that was definitely my biggest complaint.  The product itself seems to work great, it's just not for me.

6. ModelCo, Party Proof Lipstick in Get Naked - Full size item, $24

Last month, my mother-in-law got a ModelCo lipstick in her Birchbox and I was so jealous!  I am obsessed with lipsticks, constantly buying new lip products, so when I saw lipstick in my box I was PUMPED!  Get Naked is a nice, nude lip color, and I am really loving it!  I was most surprised about the smell.  I opened the tube and definitely didn't expect a nice smell, I actually expected the smell that comes along with cheaper drugstore lip products...but I was wrong!  I was excited to get a nude lip color, it's one of the few colors I don't have in my collection.  I didn't love it the first time I put it on, it almost looked like I'd put on concealer on my lips and forgot to add lipstick.  I was disappointed, BUT when I added lip gloss over the product, I liked it A LOT more! 

Closing Thoughts

Overall, I was a fan this month.  As usual, there are products that I loved and products I didn't.  There were several products that I'll probably be purchasing full sized items of in the near future.  I've been lucky to have gotten so many great products over the last three months! 

If you are interested in signing up for Birchbox and getting all these goodies, you can click here!

See you soon!

XOXO.

No comments:

Post a Comment