Thursday, October 9, 2014

22 Days 'Til Halloween

Halloween is my second favorite holiday, Christmas has always been my absolute favorite, but Halloween is pretty great!

I love scary movies, and all scary things, so of course I love Halloween!  I love to see all the awesome costumes, whether they are homemade or bought from the nearest Wal-Mart or Target.  However, you jerks that choose to be clowns need to get to gettin' because I HATE clowns.

I thought that since there are still a few weeks until Halloween, I'd do one post every week dedicated to making a fun Halloween costume for yourself and I'm going to have my sister add a section on how to make some fun kids costumes!  Full disclaimer, they are "boy" costumes, but whatever if your little girl wants to be Capt. Jack Sparrow, then have at it! :)

Superheroes

Batman/Spiderman/Wonder Woman


When I was younger, my friend and I would constantly talk about our favorite superheroes (yes, we were nerds), hers was Spiderman, and she owned everything she could that had Spiderman on it.  I love Batman. We would argue ALL the time about who was better.  I still hold firm that Batman is better! 

Last year, my friends and I were planning to dress up for Halloween and head over to a party, but we weren't sure who we wanted to be!  I found this cute idea on Pinterest to be superheroes, and to make it girly, wear tutus!  The girls liked the idea so out we went to find shirts and tutus!  But who did we want to be?  I, of course, was going to be Batman.  I made that decision as soon as I saw the idea on Pinterest.  They were going deciding from Wonder Woman, Spiderman, and Superman. Out we went, to Spencer's, Wal-Mart, Party City, any place we thought may have superman shirts.  I found my Batman shirt at Spencer's, Cayla found her Spiderman shirt at Wal-Mart, and Tina's shirt was homemade.  We also picked up some socks at Spencer's.  Then we headed over to Hobby Lobby to find the items we needed to make our own tutus (we couldn't find adult sized tutus).  All we did was buy some elastic (I believe it was about $1.50-$2.00), measured each of our waists, and cut! :)  We also each bought different color tulle (Cayla got black and I got yellow- I believe they are around $4 and we each bought 2) and Tina bought a red t-shirt, a gold glitter foam sheet to draw out the Wonder Woman logo on.

We get back to my apartment and turn our floor into a hot mess of arts and crafts!  I love when everyone comes over and crafts, but the aftermath is never pretty!  After we'd cut the elastic to the size we needed, Cayla and I started working on our tutus, while Tina (who already had a tutu from a previous costume) started working on her shirt.  We cut the tulle in strips (I believe they were 36 inch strips, they may have been shorter), after that we just folded it in half, making sure the bend in the tulle was under the waistband, then pulled the ends down over the waistband and through the loop. The knot doesn't need to be too tight, if it is it'll curl.  We repeated the process until we were satisfied with the fullness of the skirts!  Now, we obviously didn't know how to do this before, and were not thinking about taking pictures of each step, so I thought I would post a link to one of the sites I used when trying to figure out how to make a tutu! Feels Like Home has a great tutorial on how to make a tutu.  She was making it for her child, but it's easily used for adults!

While we were busy doing that, Tina took her plain red shirt, laid it flat on the ground, and took her gold foam sheet and a sharpie pen and drew out the Wonder Woman logo.  When she finished, she just cut it out and glued it to the shirt.  As simple as that! We finished up, got all dressed up and were out the door!


Full disclaimer, we wore shorts under those.....because they were much needed! Cayla is also wearing red tights because we didn't have Spiderman socks! Also, I chose to make a yellow tutu instead of a black one because my shirt and socks were black and I wanted something bright!

There ya have it! An easy, cheaper alternative to the slutty superhero costumes! :)


I even got my husband to "dress up"!  Score!  He hates Halloween, he thinks dressing up is silly, and I can never get him to wear a costume.  Sooo, I wasn't sure how to make him do it, but I suggested he dress as Alfred, because he had a tuxedo tee that I thought would look perfect! Once he realized he really only had to wear black pants, a t-shirt, and a coat, he agreed!



Now, onto my nephew's favorite Halloween costume and my sister's DIY! 


                                                                                                                                                  


Fall is my favorite time of year! Not only because I get to break out the comfy sweaters and boots, but also because when fall comes, so does Halloween!
I honestly cannot tell you why I love Halloween so much.  Maybe it's the candy, the haunted houses, or the mass amount of ghost shows that appear on television, but I think its mostly because I get to show my creative side with my son's costume.

Now, my son has never really been a easy costume type of kid.  He was three when he decided he needed to be something that I had to try and create.  (And let me tell you he was a very specific 3 year old, maybe he got that from me, I'm thinking his Aunt) So since that was the first costume I had to creatively put together,(and the second, because he carried this costume over to the next year.  Did I mention he looooooved this character?) I will start out the homemade Halloween costumes with it!

Introducing Captain Jack Sparrow

Mason: age 3
For this costume, I had to buy a hat and a wig but luckily we found those pretty easy.  Most Halloween stores had some type of pirate wig and hat.  Keep in mind, it had been several years since a Pirates of the Caribbean movie had been out.  I pulled a picture of Captain Jack from the movie and used it as a reference when I was trying to put his outfit together.  His vest and pants were part of a suit that he had outgrown, but for this, the shorter legs were perfect.  The white undershirt was actually one of mine that I pinned together in the back and hid under the “jacket” (which is an XS lightweight miliatry jacket, that I found in the clearance section of TJ Maxx.)  The scarf tie was also a clearance item from Walmart.  (We got lucky on all the clearance)  His rings were actually little girl rings that came in a party favor set.  I painted them black and didn't mind if it chipped.  That added to the piratey look! His boots are mine but he enjoyed playing in them so much that I couldn’t tell him no.  Finally, his candy sack.  It's just a black gift bag that cost $1 and I printed and cut out the pirate flag and glued it to the front.  I drew his facial hair on with an eyeliner pencil and cut some hair from the wig and braided it to make his little hairs hanging from his chin.  

He was definitely a hit!!! Everyone loved his little costume and he loved it so much he played pirate in it for months.  And when Halloween came around the next  year, guess what he wanted to be?

Mason: age 4
Captain Jack Sparrow (round 2)

For the second year, the fourth movie had been released.  And now the costume was available.  So we had something a little closer to the original to work with.  But my son had to look as close as possible!  So we took one of my belts and added it to make a sword holder.  Used the same jacket, boots and rings from the year before.  We had to add some new facial markings, because, believe me, he noticed them in the movie.  And this year, we made a pirate sack from a burlap bag for his candy.  

                                                                                                                                                                        

It's important for you to know, that kid loves pirates more than anyone.  And if anyone didn't think that his costume was spot on..... here is something for ya!


Ha ha! I loved that costume.


Well that was Week 1 of Halloween costumes!!! Come back, same time next week, for Week 2!  If we are lucky, I'll have an very interesting (and VERY original) couples costume! ;)

See you soon!

XOXO.

No comments:

Post a Comment