Monday, October 27, 2014

Birchbox Review: October!

I'm gonna start this post by giving a little background about myself.  I was not an incredibly girly girl growing up.  For the most part in my life, I cried when I had to put a dress on, let alone nice shoes or even the idea of makeup. Ha!  Oh how things have changed over the years!  Now I can barely leave the house without making sure my makeup is just right! 

Throughout my childhood, I didn't get a big kick out of putting makeup on.  I copied my sister a little, as baby sisters often do, but it really didn't interest me!  I would have rather walked around making jokes and doing impressions than stand in front of the mirror and put my face on.  I finally started wearing foundation in middle school, and honestly the routine didn't change much in high school.  It wasn't until college that I realized just how much makeup and skin care can really change things!  I finally enjoyed it....it only took 20 years! Haha!


Now for the box!

I'll move to present day now! :)  It's my second month of Birchbox.  I am really loving it! I was initially worried because I'd seen a few unboxings where the girls were pretty upset with their boxes and I didn't want to be disappointed my second month, but no worries, I loved it! 

This month's theme was fanfare! Shows, music, movies, games, makeup, clothes, etc. that you are obsessing over and cannot get enough of!


My lovely box!

First of all, I loved the little card in the box! I don't know if you can read it but it says, "Can't Talk Now.  Doing my nails and watching Gossip Girl for the millionth time."  I filled in the Gossip Girl, obviously, but you get the idea!  There were different little sayings that you could get, but mine was perfect because on more than one occasion I did, in fact, paint my nails and watch Gossip Girl! 

Okay, now for the samples!

1. Coastal Scents Revealed 2 Eyeshadow Palette Set - Full size item, $34

I got the Ballerina sampler.  It has two matte shadows and two shimmery, all of which are a range of pinks....LOVE!  The colors are so beautifully pigmented! I'm really glad that I got an eye shadow sampler...I love trying new looks with eye shadows, and I tend to be too scared to buy just any kind of drug store brand, so this was nice!  Besides because it was really pigmented, I don't have to use a lot of the shadow to get results and so I think I'm going to get a lot of use from it!  This was definitely my favorite item from my box this month!

2.  Dr. Jart+ BB Black Label Detox - Full size item, $36

Now, this was possibly my least favorite item in the box.  I've been looking around for a BB cream, as I've heard a lot about it, but I've said before, I'm kind of scared to try new things (except lip stick y'all, I have no trouble with that!).  That being said, I was excited to try this item.  It was TINY (0.2 fl. oz), but I wasn't as upset about that as I was about how heavy this felt on my face.  I'd never worn BB cream, so maybe it typically has a heaviness, but I just was turned off of the product because of it.  Also, it said that it was a "detox" and was supposed to calm blemish-prone skin, but I didn't see much of a difference in that aspect.  

3. Dr. Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips - Full size item, $14.5

When I initially read the name on the package I wondered why in the world I would've gotten it!  But then I realized that it was FOR LIPS! Awkward!  I love lip products, whether it be moisturizers, lip stains, lip sticks, etc.  so I was happy to see this in my box!  My reaction to this, it's much like Carmex.  The consistency is the same, it felt the same on my lips, I'm definitely a fan! I also liked that in the "how" section on the card it actually says you can dab onto parched lips, cuticles, and elbows, basically it's useful for more than just lips!  The sample is a little small but I was pretty happy with it!

4. Number 4 Hair Clarifying Shampoo - Full size item, $32

I've used this product the least, so my opinion I guess could change on this, but from what I can tell, I'm going to be a fan!  I don't really have a lot of trouble with moisture in my hair, but I don't really have pretty, shiny hair, and after using the product, I had a nice shine to my mane! ;)  The product doesn't lather up like other shampoos and I was worried I wasn't getting a good clean, but the result was nice!  I did wash my hair twice to be on the safe side, I've never had a product that didn't lather!  If I were going to rate this (and I will on the Birchbox site!) I'd probably do a 3 out of 5...I didn't LOVE it, but I could definitely tell a difference in my hair!

I also received a Reconstructing Masque Pouchette for stronger, shinier hair (same brand, full size item, $58).  I have only used it once, it says to use occasionally so I haven't used with every wash.  I haven't really noticed a difference in the strength of my hair, and I'm afraid I won't get enough uses to really see if the product does exactly what it says it does.  That being said, it has a nice smell and my hair felt softer and looked nice and shiny when I was finished...I'm afraid in this case I just don't have enough information to definitively say I loved it or hated it!  I've read some reviews, it seems pretty mixed, I feel like my hair may not be the right type to fall in love with this product.

5. Vasanti Cosmetics BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator, Full size item, $34

Last, but certainly not least, this product I really enjoyed!  I noticed a difference in my skin after the first use!  It mimics the effects of microdermabrasion.  I did read a few reviews where the users were saying it was too rough on their face, and I could see that, the small crystals could do that on sensitive skin, but I enjoyed the feeling that it left.  It definitely felt like it was taking all the gross, dead stuff off of my face and it just looked brighter and felt smoother after one use.  I've been trying to use it sparingly but I do like the way it brightens and cleans my face.  I'd say my second favorite from this month's box!

Closing thoughts!

I love that I am getting these products for $10 a month.  Honestly, I can make these products (for the most part) last for the entire month without having to replace them.  I know that some people just can't spare $10, and I completely understand that.  But if you can spare it, I would definitely suggest getting these boxes!  They are great! And I know that some people don't always enjoy their boxes, but  just think of all the things you can try!! :)

Click here if you'd like to sign up for Birchbox and start getting all these goodies for yourself! :)

See you soon!

XOXO.

No comments:

Post a Comment